Desktop computers come in all sizes, shapes, designs, features, and capabilities whether in a PC or Mac. The 27 inch iMac is Apple’s new ‘all-in-one’ computer with both modern beauty in sleek design coupled with powerful features. The new and improved iMac offers outstanding display whether viewing websites, photos, television shows, playing games or watching movies.
The 27 Inch iMac is vastly improved from the first iMac which is a 15 inch version from ten years ago. The display uses almost all of the front enclosure stretching from edge to edge. The 16:9 widescreen display of the 27 inch iMac features LED backlighting.
What are the important features of the 27 inch iMac?
- Efficiency and brightness due to the display pixels of the LED backlighting while still maintaining the thin enclosure with high-performance components.
- iMac is designed with a display that looks perfect no matter what angle it is viewed because of its IPS (in-plane switching). Viewing the screen display from the side is just as impressive as it is when viewed from the front.
- The resolution of the small iMac 21.5 inch is 1920 by 1080 HD but the 27 inch iMac has a 2560 by 1440 resolution. This higher resolution was not achieved by stretching the display out and up but by adding 78% more pixels.
- The space-saving all-in-one design of the iMac is a feature that makes for a clean and compact setup on the desktop. The processor, hard drive, graphics card, optical drive, display, memory plus more are all in the one sleek and beautiful enclosure.
- The back of the enclosure is seamlessly designed aluminum surface that has just one power cord and a collection of ports.
- The enclosure is equipped with three fans that keep the GPU and the CPU components cool during use while running in a mega-quiet mode, 18 decibels when idle. Along with the fans there is a control system built into the enclosure that monitors the heat generated by components and will administer the correct airflow as needed.
- The pedestal is aluminum and finely tapered so that it takes almost no space on the desktop.
- The speakers have less distortion and clearer sound quality while delivering louder volume.
- Included with the iMac 27” computer is the wireless Magic Mouse and the Apple Wireless Keyboard. The magic mouse has a multi-touch capacity allowing for clicking, scrolling and pointing with no trackball, no visible button and no scroll wheel. Advanced technology of the magic mouse uses a clip that is able to tell the difference between a scrolling finger, one simple click, a two-finger swipe or just a resting hand.
- The processors are faster because of the standard built-in Intel Core processors with four processing cores called ‘quad-core power’ so that data has a shorter distance to travel.
- The graphics are designed to be separate from the CPU which means whether viewing movies or playing games the graphics are faster, crisper and smoother.
- There is a choice of memory; the “ATI Radeon HD 5670 with 512MB of memory” or for gaming applications in 3D the “ATI Radeon HD 5750 with 1GB of GDDR5 memory.
Purchasing a 27 inch iMac allows the user to join the “One to One” membership operated by Apple. The membership costs less than $100 for a full year at the time of purchase. The advantage of the membership is personal training sessions, part of a group of workshops with members who share common interests and at the time of purchase all the existing files from the old computer will be transferred to the new iMac plus a full system setup.
PROS: all-in-one features, beautiful sleek design
CONS: higher pricing
MORE INFO: www.apple.com/imac/
Although reasonably priced considering the extensive features of the 27 inch iMac, the pricing is around $1700.